Australia is kind of a complicated place when it comes to online gambling. On the one hand, it’s considered illegal in the country so no gambling website can get a local license here, and no one can run an online casino from Australia as well. On the other hand, it almost doesn’t influence the Australian online gamblers as they can safely and easily make their bets in international online casinos.
But please pay attention to that “almost” part. Even though you can play gambling games in Australia, some restrictions are still imposed, and one of those restrictions concerns the choice of payment methods available for Australian players. There are ways to make a casino deposit or withdrawal, but PayPal is unfortunately not on the list.
If you try and ask the casinos’ customer support about whether you can make a PayPal deposit from Australia, you’ll get a negative answer, even if PayPal is present in the payment options selection.
So, making a direct casino deposit via PayPal is impossible in Australia. But what if you still want to use PayPal for your gambling transactions? There is a way.
Direct PayPal payments are impossible, but what about the indirect ones? The thing is, you can use a buffer option, i.e. another payment system that you’d use to transfer money from/to your PayPal account and which will serve as a mediator between PayPal and an online casino. If this is something you’d like to do, pay attention to the three following options:
- Bitcoin. I put it as a first option as it’s the most favourable way to transfer the money from your PayPal account to a casino money-wise. Besides, crypto gambling is an ongoing trend and there are lots of Bitcoin online casinos accepting bets from Australian players.
- Skrill or Neteller. E-wallets like Neteller and Skrill are the most popular payment options in Australian online casinos and you can use them as the buffer option as well. However, the 5% fee will be taken for every transaction.
- A credit/debit card. You can use your usual bank card as an intermediate between a PayPal and a casino account. It’s a good option if you don’t want to create any additional account, but be ready for some fees — 2.9% of the transaction amount + $0.30 will be applied every time.
Now you have two options available: you can either pick a PayPal casino from my list (which is the fastest and the safest option) or look for one yourself using my 6-step casino evaluation procedure. I used it to select the casinos for this list and I also use it for any other casino lists I make on this website.
6 steps to select the best PayPal casino in Australia:
Making a PayPal casino deposit in Australia is a complete headache, but I have a pill for you. Here is my list of the best PayPal casinos for Australian players generously seasoned by the tips and tricks on how to use this payment system for your bets.
1. Check the choice of payment methods
You need a convenient way to make a deposit. As using PayPal directly is not possible for Australians, you need to make sure there is one or several buffer options available in the casino. It can be Neteller, Skrill, Bitcoin, or whatever else you want to use. Don’t forget to check the withdrawal options as well — some online casinos have a tendency to offer a bunch of deposit options and only one or two cash-out methods.
In Woo casino, players can choose among several e-wallets, a variety of cryptocurrencies and prepaid methods like Paysafecard, so there is basically anything a gambler can dream of in terms of swift and easy casino payments.
2. Pay attention to casino security
Trust the dealer, but always cut the cards. In other words, don’t believe everything you read in casino reviews and always check the casino license yourself to make sure your money and personal information are going to be safe. Once you are done with the license, look for the fairness certificates (iTech Labs, eCOGRA, etc) and the information about data protection (128-bit SSL encryption is a must for a reputable online casino).
While all the PayPal casinos on my list are 100% safe, Abo is always my go-to choice. Not only does it have a great choice of games and promotions, but also a safe Curacao license and strong data protection protocols so I can make my bets with no anxiety.
3. Look for a wide game list
You made a deposit, now it’s time to play. As your third step, go to the casino’s Games page and think — do you like what you see there? I recommend opting for PayPal online casinos which:
- have a diverse game list including pokies, table games, live dealer games, and so on;
- have games made by reputable providers on the list;
- have a filter that you can use to search for the games to fit your personal preferences.
It’s easy to get lost in GetSlots casino as it offers more than 6000 games. Not all of them are pokies, despite the name, but all of them are made by famous casino games developers and have a decent RTP rate.
4. Examine the welcome bonus terms
Don’t get tricked by a bad bonus. While all the PayPal casinos in Australia will try to attract you with their juicy bonuses and loud promises, most of those offers would not work in your favour. Before you claim anything in an online casino, make sure to read the bonus terms carefully to learn three main facts: how high the wagering requirements are, how long the bonus lasts, and how many games there are to use the bonus in.
Million Vegas casino offers one of the best sign-up bonuses to the new players — you can get up to 00 with 35x wagering requirements.
5. Test the mobile compatibility
Can you play on the go in that casino? This is another thing to check while evaluating a gambling website. You can skip this step if you only play from your desktop, but if you dream of making bets wherever you are — a mobile-friendly PayPal casino is a must. The best way to learn whether the casino is mobile-compatible is to test it yourself. Open the casino website from your smartphone and give it a try: does everything work as it should? Are there any crashes? Can you easily find everything you need?
Most of the casinos from my list are mobile-friendly, but I usually opt for the Slotty Way when I’m in the mood for making bets on the go. While it perfectly works in a mobile browser, you can also download a mobile app if you wish.
6. Contact the customer support
Asking a question doesn’t hurt. Especially if you know that you’ll get a friendly and professional answer from the casino’s customer support. No one is immune to issues that happen in online casinos, so before you commit to one — give its customer support operators a short talk and see how fast they are to answer and how helpful they are.
Don’t forget to pay attention to the means of communication available. Email is good (especially if you can get the answer within several hours at most), a live chat is even better. I don’t like online casinos that can only be contacted by phone as I don’t usually have the time and mood to wait on the line.
Even though I didn’t have many issues in National casino, those I had were solved fast and easy in a live chat available any time of the day and night.
- Create a PayPal account or log in to the existing one
- Choose one of the buffer options I mentioned above
- Send money from your PayPal account to the buffer system of your choice
- Create an account in a PayPal casino or log in if you already have one
- Go to the Deposit page and choose the respective payment system
- Enter the amount you’d like to deposit and confirm the transaction
- Log in to your PayPal casino account
- Go to the Cashier section and pick the buffer option you want to use to cash out your wins
- Enter the amount you’d like to cash out and confirm the transaction
- Wait for the withdrawal transaction to be approved by a casino
- Send the money from the buffer system of your choice to your PayPal account
As you can see, PayPal casino transactions are somewhat tricky and time-consuming. If you are looking for an easier and faster alternative, the choice is actually huge. To make a deposit or withdraw your wins from an Australian online casino, you can use one of the following options or combine several of them:
If you came looking for the best PayPal casino bonuses, I must disappoint you as I don’t believe that they actually exist. Yes, some online casinos offer more or less lucrative sign-up bonuses or cashbacks, but most of them have too high wagering requirements for me to even look at them. Even if you are not so picky when it comes to casino offers, I still recommend reading Terms & Conditions every time you think of claiming a bonus — it might keep you from getting things that will spoil your betting experience instead of improving it.
Well, Australia is definitely not the best place to make a casino deposit or withdrawal using PayPal. Direct payments are prohibited, and workarounds take more time and effort. However, there are still ways to do it and if it’s something you are ready to invest your time in — go for it and don’t listen to me. Just make sure you make your bets in the reliable PayPal casinos for Australian players, like the ones you can find in my list above. Good luck!